Monday, September 26, 2011

Literary Lunchbox ~ Blogging about Kid Lit!

As a huge fan of children's literature, I decided to write a blog about the ever-growing world of books for kids.  I want to discuss great books and not-so-great books, authors, genres and the market and marketing of books targeting the 18 and under crowd.

I love to read!  I'm a huge fan of adult fiction, memoirs, funny essays and historical dramas.  I also love to revisit my childhood favorites (Island of the Blue Dolphins, Bridge to Terabithia) and am increasingly drawn to YA standouts like The Book Thief and The Hunger Games Trilogy.  I try to read most of what my nine year old son is reading, but it's getting hard to keep up.  Thankfully, he has an almost didactic memory and loves to share a good story on the ride to school.

My mom was a librarian and her passion was children's literature.  There were stacks of books all over our house just waiting to be read.  In our house, the only sedentary occupation allowed was reading.  Turn on the television and mom immediately found a chore for you to do, but crack open a book and she'd leave you alone for hours.

I've written a MG book and am currently working on the sequel.  I love it!  Now, I just need an agent who loves it too.  I'm querying my little heart out!  More on that later...

I'm glad you've found my blog.  Let me hear from you.  I want to know your opinions and suggestions even if they don't match mine.

Blog you soon!

Ali B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I didn't know the Hunger Games was a trilogy. I liked the first one a lot and so did my middle school students (when I taught 6th grade).